Dementia Friendly Pharmacy
Certificate of Completion
Explore the ways in which community pharmacies can improve their ability to meet the needs of family carers of people living with dementia.
Suitable for people working in:
Acute Care , Primary care , Community Care , Mixed
This module is part of the course:
Dementia friendly pharmacy
Dementia Friendly Pharmacy
This course is divided into five sections:
- This module will explore the ways in which community pharmacists can improve their ability to meet the needs of family carers of people living with dementia.
The Dementia Friendly Pharmacy
- The aim of this section is to explore the ways in which community pharmacies can improve their ability to meet the needs of family carers of people living with dementia.
- Throughout this section you will learn about the medications used in the management of some of the symptoms of dementia.
Medications which should be used with caution
- In this section you will learn about the medications which should be used with caution in people living with dementia.
- This case study will work through some of the things you have learnt throughout this lesson. This case study is not assessed, it is intended to put some things into context.
- This assessment will test your knowledge from the Dementia Friendly Pharmacy module. To be eligible for Group 2 CPD credits you need to achieve a score of 80% in this 15 question assessment.
On completion of this course you should be able to:
Describe the role of community pharmacy in assisting family carers of people living with dementia
Explain the principles of a dementia friendly pharmacy and the steps to becoming dementia friendly
Evaluate and promote the appropriate use of medications frequently used to support people with dementia
Identify medications to be avoided in people living with dementia
Continuing Professional Education
Accreditation number: CX180099.
This activity has been accredited for 3 hours of Group 1 CPD (or 3 CPD credits) suitable for inclusion in an individual pharmacist’s CPD plan, which can be converted to 3 hours of Group 2 CPD (6 CPD credits) upon successful completion of relevant assessment activities.
Dementia Training Australia is supported by funding from the Australian Government under the Dementia and Aged Care Services Fund, funded by the Australian Government.
This resource was developed by Dementia Training Australia, University of Western Australia:
Kate Fulford, Medication Management Consultant, Project Pharmacist, Dementia Training Australia, University of Western Australia
Dr Andrew Stafford, Director, Dementia Training Australia, University of Western Australia
The contributions of the following people to this resource is acknowledged with gratitude:
Gerald Burns Pharmacy staff, in particular:
Gerald Burns Pharmacy staff, in particular; Amanda Bryce, Carolyn Glazier and Lisa Bodlovich.
June Lewis, carer of husband with dementia
Dementia Australia, in particular; Dr Tanya Petrovich.
This resource was developed from materials originally prepared by the Western Australian Dementia Training Study Centre at Curtin University. The contribution of the following people to that project is gratefully acknowledged, without whom it would not have been possible:
Curtin University School of Pharmacy and Biomedical Science
Associate Professor Lynne Emerton
Pharmacy 777 Group
Professional Services Manager
University of Wollongong Centre for Health Initiatives
Dr Lyn Philipson
Alzheimer’s Western Australia Dementia Advocates
After enrolment, your course will appear in your Dashboard under My Enrolments. You will also receive an email with instructions to get started.
Learning with DTA
Online courses contain modules that have been grouped together based on their topic area. Each module within a course must be completed, and in the defined order.
Modules can be completed individually, and in any order. You may choose to complete any module, based on your areas of interest.
Some modules may have prerequisites. If a module has a prerequisite you’ll need to complete that first to ensure you have the essential prior knowledge required. Modules with a prerequisite will be clearly marked.
Start now or later
Get started wth any course or module right away. Not ready just yet? Schedule your course for any date in the coming weeks, and we’ll send you a reminder when it's time to begin.