Caring for lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender and intersex (LGBTI) people with dementia
Certificate of Completion
Become culturally competent in caring for lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender and intersex (LGBTI) people with dementia.
Suitable for people working in:
Respite Care , Palliative Care , Emergency Care , Mixed , Community Care , Residential Care , Acute Care , Primary Care
About this Course
This course aims to assist workers across the health and aged care sectors to become culturally competent in caring for lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender and intersex (LGBTI) people with dementia.
By completing this course, participants will be able to:
- Explain the term LGBTI
- Describe key terminology around gender, body, sexual and identity diversity
- Describe the discrimination experienced by LGBTI people
- Increase awareness of some of the key issues that are still present today for LGBTI people
- Increase awareness of LGBTI health and wellbeing issues
- Explain the considerations for providing care for LGBTI people
- Increase awareness of dementia and how it may affect LGBTI people
- Describe the strategies organisations can use to become more culturally inclusive
- Describe the resources available to support organisations to become more LGBTI inclusive
In this course, you will complete the following modules:
Continuing Professional Education
Completion of this course provides 3 hours of continuing professional education. A Certificate of Completion is awarded upon successful completion.
Learning with DTA
Online courses contain modules that have been grouped together based on their topic area. Each module within a course must be completed and in the defined order.
Modules can be completed individually and in any order. You may choose to complete any module, based on your areas of interest.
Some modules may have prerequisites. If a module has a prerequisite you’ll need to complete that first to ensure you have the essential prior knowledge required. Modules with a prerequisite will be clearly marked.
A Certificate of completion is awarded on successful completion of a DTA course or module. You may use this certificate toward your Continuing Professional Development and Education (CPD/CPEE). Access your Certificates in your Dashboard.
Once you have logged into the DTA website, you can access your learner Dashboard by clicking the green “My Dashboard” button in the top right corner of the website. Available 24/7, your Dashboard provides access to:
- View your courses enrolments
- Begin or continue a course
- View courses you have completed
- Apply for an extension
- View Training Programs you are involved in
- Download Certificates of Completion
- Manage your personal details
Start now or later
Click 'Start Now' to begin any course or module right away. Not quite ready? Choose 'Start Later' to schedule a course or module to begin any date in the coming weeks. We’ll send you an email reminder when it's time to begin.
Learn how to look, listen and investigate pain in people living with dementia who are unable to verbalise their discomfort or pain.Suitable for people working in:
Explore how dementia impacts the physiology of the brain and its effects on an individual’s ability to perform activities of daily living.Suitable for people working in:
Explore how a person living with dementia can exhibit a range of responsive behaviours. Learn strategies to help reduce or prevent episodes of responsive behaviours, and maintain client and staff safety.Suitable for people working in: