DTA provides a consultancy service that assists residential care providers to ensure their use of antipsychotic medications aligns with recommended practice.
About the service
There is a growing awareness of the potential misuse of psychotropic medications, such as antipsychotics and other sedatives, in older people; especially those with dementia.
The ultimate goal of the consultancy is to contribute to reducing the number of antipsychotic medications used to support people with changed behaviour, ensuring that they are prescribed at the lowest possible dose for the shortest possible period.
The Medication Management Consultancy may help your organisation meet the Aged Care Quality Standards: Standard 3
Before and after implementation to measure:
- Staff knowledge about recommended use of antipsychotic and psychotropic medications for changed behaviour.
- Number of residents prescribed antipsychotic medications for changed behaviour.
To support appropriate use of antipsychotic medications for changed behaviour.
- Online staff education.
- Education for staff on how to use resources.
- DTA reminder stickers, reference cards and reference poster.
- Fact sheets for relatives and carers about antipsychotic medication use for changed behaviour.
- DTA Virtual Classroom Session focusing on Behaviour Assessment Plan / Behaviour Support Plan.
- DTA consultant to support staff through the change process.
- Development of a mechanism to ensure sustainability of changes at the workplace e.g. policy and procedure.
Medication Management Courses
Medication Management Events
Dementia Training Australia is supported by funding from the Australian Government under the Dementia Training Program