Dementia Training for First Responders
This online course is designed for first responders to gain a better understanding of dementia including common symptoms and how dementia affects the brain and behaviour.
About this CourseThrough completing this course, you will gain a better understanding of dementia, including common symptoms and how dementia affects the brain and behaviour. You will explore some contributing causes of behaviour change in people living with dementia, learn some practical strategies in how to prevent or de-escalate incidents when behaviour change occurs and acquire tips on how to optimise the safety of people living with dementia, particularly during transitions in care when there is an increased risk of getting lost.
After completing this course, staff should be able to:
- Define dementia and describe how dementia can affect the brain and behaviour.
- Describe examples of changed behaviours.
- Communicate effectively with people living with dementia.
- Use various strategies to prevent escalation of distress.
- Optimise transitions of care for someone living with dementia.
Continuing Professional Development
Completion of this course provides 1 hour of continuing professional development. A Certificate of Completion is awarded upon successful completion.
- Associate Professor, Margaret McAndrew QUT
- WA Police, Safe and Found Service
- St Johns Ambulance Transport Team, WA
- Welsh Ambulance Service
Learn with DTA
Benefits of learning with DTA
- Increase your knowledge of dementia
- Ongoing access to review course content
- Real life examples to help you put knowledge into practice
- Learn anytime, anywhere
Once you have logged into the DTA website, you can access your learner Dashboard by clicking the green “My Dashboard” button in the top right corner of the website. Available 24/7, your Dashboard provides access to:
- View your courses enrolments
- Begin or continue a course
- View courses you have completed
- Apply for an extension
- View Training Programs you are involved in
- Download Certificates of Completion
- Manage your personal details
Help and Support
Having trouble with a course or module? Please visit our Help Center to view common questions and answers. You may submit a support request by clicking the green button in the bottom left corner of the DTA website, or completing our online technical support request form.
- Published: 01 Nov 2023
- Updated: 15 Jan 2024